Friday, September 5, 2008

Margaret Martha Powell Christley 08/07/1920 - 08/18/2008


I am so happy that we went back to Roanoke, VA when we did. We had the opportunity to spend some quality time with my grandparents and family. On August 18th my dad called early in the morning to let us know that Grandma had passed away. She was 88 years old.

I did not know if I would be able to make it to the funeral, but thanks to my lovely wife I was blessed to fly out the day before her funeral. It was a wonderful spending time with my family sharing our memories of Grandma. She had a wonderful sense of humor and a quick wit. I remember enjoying listening to her and my grandpa telling stories of their past. Grandpa would tell his version and then Grandma would tell us how that wasn't how it was and proceed to tell us the truth. They made an hilarious comedy team.
My dad spoke at the funeral and did an incredible job. We laughed and cried the entire time. He reminded us how you could not go to Grandma and Grandpa's house without being fed or at least offered food. When he spoke about that it reminded me of when we walked in the door late one Saturday night in July, the first thing she asked was if we wanted anything to eat. She then laughed and said if we did we would have to get it ourselves.
We will all miss Grandma madly.

No comments: